Tips and Tricks

Share your Elsinore expertise! (This is NOT a Q&A Forum.)
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: reed valve
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:35 pm 
honda cr 2501974 ,,,where do i locate reed valve assembly..

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:47 pm 

do you have a modified cylinder? if so you would have to find out who did the modification.those bikes did not come stock with a reed valve and the 250 honda didnt have a reed valve from the factory untill the 1978 and later bikes came out.

1971 yamaha RT1 360 mx

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:28 pm 

Check with Scott Davis at Cycle Stop Racing http://www.cyclestopracing.com/

He used to sell a reed kit for the 73 CR250. Don't see it listed on his website right now but give him a call. You will have to modify your ports and the piston if you go this route.

You might also try John Greenway at Kleem Research. 909-687-1384. He converted mine a few years ago. Expensive! I'm not sure if he's doing older Elsinore anymore though.

Loren

Report this post

Post subject: Mossbarger reed valve
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:55 pm 

I have a mossbarger reed valve assembly which is available for a 1973/74 cr250m. Mossbarger have a web site if you're looking for one. I can't tell you how it performs because I haven't installed it yet. I've been told it bolts straight on and i've also received the directions/specs for porting and machining the piston skirt to get maximum power.
My original intention was to widen the power band to get better bottom end out of corners (more rider friendly) I'm not so worried about top end.
Question is do I really need to do the porting and piston work to achieve this? Is anyone out there using a mossbarger and do they work?

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:45 pm 

The principle of the Mossbarger reed valve is to flow more fuel into the engine for more power and by being a more responsive valve provide better throttle response. These objectives are shared with the Boyesen RAD valve, V-Force etc. If the Mossbarger valve is a direct replacement for an OEM reed valve I would expect that you would need only adjust the jetting. However if you are adding the reed valve to a non-reed piston port engine then significant engineering work would be required..right? (If only to provide a housing for the reed valve.) I replaced a stock single-sided OEM case reed valve on an 1978 RM250C2 with a double-side DG reed valve and had to machine the cylinder liner so the flow from the extra set of petals could get into the crankcase. You might be looking at similar work. BTW, I bought a Mossbarger reed valve for my 1979 Honda CR250R and it has never been installed because the reed cage is just a little wider than stock and will not fit into the intake without a little grinding work. However I cam confident it would provide a bottom-end and mid-range performance boost when I get round to it.

http://www.mossbargerracing.com/index.htm

AHRMA, CalVMX and SVRG #190
Honda CR250R Elsinore 1979
Honda CR480R 1983
Honda CR250R 1987

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:44 pm 

According to the info I have the assembly will bolt straight on my barrel. I have not raced this cr yet, so what I'll do is race it stock for a while, then bolt on the reed valve without any modifications and see what difference it makes (if any). I'll report back with any findings, it won't be for a while, we're in the off season in the southern hemisphere, too hot to race but just right for drinking cold beer.

Report this post