Tips and Tricks

Share your Elsinore expertise! (This is NOT a Q&A Forum.)
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Full circle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:22 pm 

After dabbing with vintage bikes for almost 5 years, I have come full circle with the purchase of a 73 CR 250. Had one of these beasts when I was 16 and have been on the lookout for one for sometime now. With my other bikes in need of this or that, it really didn't make much sense to adopt this one, but I just had to have it! To make matters worse( if you listen to the wife) or better ( if you listen to me), I also picked up a 79 250. From what I have read here, it is quite different from the 1980 model I owned back then. So, I am looking forward to tinkering with these new finds and hope to have them track ready next year.
OK, I'll admit that when I was 16 that I wasn't the best at prevenitive maintenance and most of the problems can be traced to me being irresponsible.......... My old 73 had a few problems and I was wondering if they were common. Here they are:

3rd gear went bad
frame broke by pegs
pipe cracked near downtube
frame cracked at downtube / cradle joint
kick starter slipped ( I replaced the pawl and this fixed it)

It looks as though the 79 will be an easy fix - rear fender, controls, seat cover, rear tire. The 73 I am picking up Saturday, so I don't know yet.

Thank goodness I am more thorough these days. I have lifted several bikes from the ashes and have enjoyed them very much. The stable today includes the Hondas, one model 49 Bultaco Trials, 2 Suzuki RL trials, and a 77 XT 500 that I bought new and kept all these years. Guess maybe a TL will complete things????
Any advice is appreciated..

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:17 am 

Hi Brian,

Aside from the exhaust pipe cracking those are all well known weak points.

Third mainshaft gear dogs break off. Had this happen myself. Two things to try. 1) If you have the bucks and your existing gears are in primo condition Sam Alexander at the Astleford Company can machine them so they engage better. 2) You can take the thrust washer between 3rd and 5th gear and move it to the other side of 5th. This gives a greater contact point where these gears engage.

Gusset up your frame where the downtube is welded to the double cradle tubes. (One of the first things I did with my bike back in 1973 before I ever raced it.) You can also reinforce the cradle tubes a couple inches in front to a couple inches behind the footpegs.

Kickstarter... buy a complete spare on Ebay or wherever. I snapped a shaft in two just before a race once and luckily had a spare along. (Crimmony... thanks for bringing this up... I completely forgot to find another spare.)

HTH,

Loren

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:49 am 

hi brian its not a problem with the cr but may help in the future with kick starter shaft and paw, i had the kick starter slipping while restoring my cr and i found that my mt 250 parts came in handy the kick starter paw all shaft are the same.the mr250 may be the same we never got many in australia.this might help others as well...

Report this post