Tips and Tricks

Share your Elsinore expertise! (This is NOT a Q&A Forum.)
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 82 CR250 issues
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:49 am 

As an old man of 48 I feel that technology has overtaken me. I joined this forum in the hopes of gaining some insight into my recent purchase of a 1982 Honda CR250. I’m not sure it is an “Elsinore” and if I’m in the wrong place for my needs I’d appreciate someone letting me know so that I can depart and search elsewhere…

I purchased the bike off of Ebay on Friday, July 26th from a local seller. Arriving to pick the bike up I discovered it came with many extras.
Extra CR250 cpt except for front forks, bars and fender.
Extra CR250 engine (along with the one on the extra bike)
Extra Gear Housing cpt plus another set of tranny gears.
Extra Cylinders (5 of em!)
New Clutch cage + additional clutch cpt.
And a whole bunch of other parts like pistons, rings, rods etc…

Jumping on the bike to test ride, it started first kick and I did a ¼ mile run down his dirt road before returning and loading everything into my truck. Getting home I did a general cleaning and essentials check before fueling up and going for a long trail ride with my son-inlaw. It had sat in a barn for a few years but ran quite well under the circumstances. All last week I rode almost daily with my grandson on his KX65 without doing any work to it. Then we stopped at a friends house who races MX and I asked him to ride it and give me an opinion. He noted that the plastic housing the choke slid up and down in had broken off down in the carb housing. Having an extra carb from the sale I opted to give it a cleaning and install it. After putting the other carb on the bike started after a couple kicks and seemed to run good after adjusting the idle. Twisting the throttle I noted the response seemed improved and after a minute or so I killed the engine and grabbed my gear for a ride. We no sooner got to the end of our street about 100 yards from the house when the bike quit running and would not start. It made some attempts and sputtered some but would not run. I have worked on the bike over the weekend but it has not responded to any of my attempts to get it running. Yesterday I took the time to strip it down some and swap out with the parts bike all the better parts like clutch and throttle cables, baffle, coil, and a few plastic parts. I am in process of re-assembly now and although hopeful the coil may have had some effect, doubtful as it had spark before.

So, that’s my dilemma. I’m not new to mechanics but have way more experience with 4 strokes (like my 74 z1 900). I like old things for the value and challenge. I always learn from these experiences and am hopeful those here have some insight to share with me.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Dave

Report this post